Wednesday, June 22, 2011

In the beginning...

...there was a man and his thoughts. About business education. Business higher education, to be more exact. Or, to be really exact, the kind of education I have been a part of as a professor in colleges of business for over 25 years.

I've been fortunate to hold appointments at two fine universities: Texas A&M University for 14 years and Florida State University for the past 11 years. While there are similarities in these two institutions (they are both large and public, they both provide education at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and they both emphasize research activity aimed at making an impact on a global scale), they exist in two very different environments (Texas A&M evolved from a military institution, Florida State was first a seminary and later a women's college).

I feel that business higher education, like higher education in general, is at a critical point. I do not expect the best business schools in 10 years will look like, or act like, the best business schools today. That seems like an incredibly short period in which to see change in academic institutions, but for now I'm going to stick with that estimate.

I hope to develop in this space some ideas about business higher education. I think I will benefit from thinking about these ideas enough to put them in the public space. I hope others will benefit either from subsequent discussions that the ideas spawn or simply from taking the ideas and developing them further.

No comments:

Post a Comment